Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making Stuff with Lemons... Letting Lemons Make Me!

After a little break from blogging, I'm going to attempt this once more.  It's actually more difficult the second and third time around I think!  I started something a few weeks ago on Wordpress but was dismayed that my guests were viewing ads I had no control over.  So here I am, back at blogger.

In short, I've thought a lot about the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make _____."  The  past couple of years have been full of lemons and since my favorite drink way back then was lemonade this was one of my favorites.  Now, after 18 months of basically H2O only, I'm not thinking much about lemonade.  But, I have made something out of all those lemons.  It's simple.  It's complicated.  It's uniquely created.  It's me.  Lemons can be transformed and they can transform.  That's what my lemons did.  The reminded me who I am in relation to the One who made me.

My lemons came in all shapes, sizes, origins - some were big, health-related lemons, others were smaller lemons that grew from seeds planted long ago.  Each one seemed unrelated at first, but in the end I realized they were actually all lemons.  They were sour, bitter, and they shone brightly, like that big yellow glowing pile in the middle of the produce aisle.  They sometimes had the appearance of something pleasant, but the insides would make my face contort into a squeamish, hideous show of discomfort.  The lemons were just plain gross.

After more than year of lemons piling up, with the occasional sweet strawberry to remind me of better days, I finally made the choice to make something of them.  Seeing as lemonade was no longer an option for me, I chose to make a rootbeer float.  Even more of a no-no, but a miracle nonetheless.  I'm so glad miracles still happen.

My story is simple - I am a mom, teacher, wife, and I became a diabetic.  My story is complicated - I was depressed, sick, bitter, and God handed me something bigger than I could deal with in that condition.  My story is unique - only probably 1% of people diagnosed with diabetes have it the way I do.  I am created - God made me to be just this.  And believe it or not, I'm glad He did.  'Cause I'm a little crazy like that.  If you want to join my craziness, sit back and imagine a rootbeer float.  Here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment